Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Nanowrimo

I couldn’t help myself, I had to start my superhero/alien invasion novel. It just sounded like too much fun to pass up. Fun has been something lacking from my writing lately, which might be why Godswar is such a pain to write. So Godswar is officially shelved until at least the end of November more than likely longer, but I’ll get to that later.


I am just over 2000 words into my Nanowrimo novel, I am using one of my short story titles as the working title, A Time For Heroes, maybe when its done I’ll send it to some YA markets or something. Which brings me to another subject.

Last year I wrote three novels by just telling a story and having fun with my writing. This year I have about ¾ of one novel. The difference? Well for most of last year I was only working part time, so two of the novels were written when I had an extra 20 hours a week of writing time, but one of them was written after I got my promotion.

The other difference? Last year I was just telling stories, and having fun as I wrote. Then came a slew of rejections, all saying pretty much the same thing “We enjoyed your writing style but we do not feel that your novel is marketable…blah, blah, blah, etc.” Then I started Godswar, and spent the better part of a year worrying about how to make it marketable as I wrote it.

It didn’t work. Not at all.

The numbers can tell the story, last year 260,000 words written, this year 43,000. Valuable lesson learned and it only took me nine months. I need to stop worrying about marketability and start writing for me again. So it is time to write A Time For Heroes, after that one of the half dozen ideas that came to me while I was trying to plow through Godswar.

No comments:

Post a Comment